Formerly known as All Hallows, the church of All Saints in Corn Street was founded in
the 12th century and was used by the Guild of Calendars to store the town archives. Outside
the church once stood the Tolzey Walk - a covered colonnade erected in 1583 where merchants
did business on bronze pedestals called 'Nails'. The Nails now stand outside the Corn Exchange
which was built in 1741. All Saints contains the tomb of EDWARD COLSTON, one of Bristol's
most generous but also most controversial benefactors. The church originally had a square
tower with pinnacles. The new tower was finished in 1716 and the cupola added in 1807.