Bristol Bridge with St Peter's Church in the background. The bridge provides the
origin of the city's name - Bricgstow meaning "settlement by the bridge". Originally
made of timber, it was rebuilt in stone in the 13th century. A chapel dedicated to the
Assumption of the Virgin Mary once spanned the middle of the bridge. A new bridge
was designed by James Bridges in 1757-60, but bitter wrangling over alternative designs
resulted in Bridges leaving the project, and the bridge was built by Thomas Paty in
1764-7. The new bridge was built on the original medieval pier foundations. An iron
superstructure was added in the 19th century to support the widened road.