St Mary Magdalene, the Parish Church of Chewton Mendip, Present Day. The church
was already venerable when in 1078 it was granted to the Carthusian Abbey of Jumieges
in Normandy by William the Conqueror in thanksgiving for his victory at Hastings in 1066.
Under the patronage of the monks of Jumieges the original Saxon church was rebuilt and
work continued until the 16th century. Further resconstruction was carried out in the 19th
century. The church can be seen for miles around, and is an imposing presence in
the countryside surrounding Chewton Mendip.