Homedene in Chewton Mendip, with the tower of St Mary Magdalene beyond. Believed
to have been built by Charles Anstee CURTIS in the 1860s, it appears to have originally
been called Butter Villa, before being renamed Chewton Villa in the 1880s. Charles' son
Cornelius CURTIS retired here in the early 1900s, and during this time the name of the
house was finally changed to Homedene. Cornelius died in 1910 and Homedene
subsequently became home to William Reasey CURTIS, Cornelius' nephew.