Holy Trinity with St Edmund, the Parish Church of Horfield. The church that stands today was
largely created in the 19th century, but the unusual circular churchyard suggests that this was a site
of worship before the Norman Conquest, and may even indicate pagan origins. The west tower is all
that remains of the medieval church and is in the Perpendicular style. The building was extensively
altered in the Victorian period, the most substantial modifications taking place between 1847-49 when
the nave was widened to create aisles, many of the existing walls rebuilt and a new roof added. These
alterations were carried out to the designs of William Butterfield. The church was enlarged again
between 1889-94 when the architects Sir George Oatley, who also designed Bristol University's
Wills Memorial Tower, and Henry Crisp extended the transepts and created the crossing tower.
Further alterations were carried out in the early 20th century. The photograph above
shows the west tower and was kindly donated by Phil Draper.