Lacock Abbey in Wiltshire. Founded in 1232 as a nunnery for Augustinian canonesses by Ela,
Countess of Salisbury, the abbey was given to William Sharington at its suppression in 1539 by
Henry VIII's commissioners. Sharington converted the abbey into a house and in the 18th century
it came into the possession of John Ivory Talbot, a descendant of Sharington's niece, who made
extensive alterations to the house and grounds. William Henry Fox Talbot inherited the estate
in the 19th century and it was at Lacock that he carried out his pioneering work
in photography. The estate is now in the care of the National Trust.