Lambourn Place in Berkshire was owned by the Hippisley family for nearly 250. The house was
rebuilt in the Elizabethan style in 1843 by Henry Hippisley. In 1886 Henry's son William Henry
sold the house to his brother-in-law Charles Grove Edwards. Charles owned the house until his
death in 1904 but never lived there. Instead it was occupied by several tenants, including James
Rone Humphreys, a prominent trainer who used the house and outbuildings as racing stables and
who died in Lambourn Place in 1896. A later tenant was the traveller and sculptor Herbert Ward,
who in 1898 was visited by Roger David Casement, the British diplomat who became an Irish
revolutionary. By 1938 the house had fallen into disrepair and was pulled down.