The Llandoger Trow public house in King Street dates from 1664. The pub was given
its unusual name by one Captain Hawkins who sailed a 'trow' - a flat-bottomed barge
or two-masted vessel - between South Wales and nearby Welsh Back before retiring to
run the pub. Llandogo is a fishing village on the River Wye in Wales and may have been
where Hawkins originally came from. The pub originally only occupied No. 5 King Street,
shown here on the right, but in 1962 Berni Inns bought the pub and the two adjacent
properties and converted them into a bar and restaurant. Berni no longer owns the
Llandoger, but the pub still occupies all three houses.