The Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway. Designed by George Marks and
opened in 1890, the railway is a water-operated funicular and consists of two
cars linked by a cable. Water feeds into a tank under the floor of the upper car
and simultaneously discharges from the tank beneath the lower car, resulting
in the heavier upper car descending and pulling the lighter lower car up
the incline. The tracks are 862 feet long and rise 500 feet.