The West side of the tower of St Mary Redcliffe. In 1446 the spire was
destroyed by lightning and the tower remained truncated until the 19th century
when an appeal was launched by the antiquary John Britton and the engineer
William Hosking. This culminated in the rebuilding of the spire in 1870-72 by
the architect George Godwin. The tower rises 292 feet above the 'red cliff'
from which the name of this area of Bristol is derived.