In 1650 the Bristol Corporation leased land on Town Marsh south of the city wall to
Thomas Wickham. In 1663 further leases were granted for land further so the south. The
street that was created was named King Street in honour of the newly restored Charles II.
The St Nicholas with Burton's Almshouses were begun in 1652. The courtyard behind
the almhouses contains a 13th century bastion from the city wall.