The parish of St Stephen was created in the 13th century as a result of
enlargement of the town. The church was rebuilt in the Perpendicular Gothic style
in the 15th century. The tower rises to a height of 152 feet and was erected in about
1470 at the sole cost of JOHN SHIPWARD, twice Mayor of Bristol. St Stephen's is
the official parish church of the city.