Ston Easton Park viewed from the North East. The Hippisley family owned the house
until the death of Bayntun Hippisley
in 1956. Bayntun's son John Preston Hippisley was
forced to sell the house to pay death
duties. The building was neglected and by 1958 it
was threatened with demolition, but
was saved by a Preservation Order. The house was
subsequently bought by Stephen Clark, heir to the famous shoe firm, who began the task
of restoring the house with the aid of Bath architect Ernest Tew. In 1964 Clark sold the
house to William Rees-Mogg
who repaired the roof and made it habitable. In 1977
Rees-Mogg sold Ston Easton Park to Peter and Christine Smedley
who restored it
to its former glory. In 1982 the Smedleys converted the house into
a hotel. In 2000
the house was purchased by Von Essen Hotels.