The River Norr runs through the gardens to the North of Ston Easton Park. In 1793
Henry Hippisley Coxe commissioned Humphry Repton to prepare a plan for transforming
the farmland surrounding the mansion into a landscape park. Not all of Repton's proposals
were carried out, but his plan to turn the "dark silent pool" behind the house into a wider
river broken up by cascades did become reality, creating "something so far more cheerful
and interesting in the busy motion of a running stream". Lady Elizabeth Hippisley, Henry's
widow, further developed the grounds in about 1814. In the late 20th century Peter Smedley
worked with Penelope Hobhouse to replan and repair the neglected garden.