The Parish Church of Holy Cross is better known as Temple Church because it stands
on the site of an oval church built by the Knights Templar, who were granted land South
of the River Avon in 1147 by Robert, Earl of Gloucester. The Templars later fell into disrepute
and were suppressed by Pope Clement V in 1312, whereupon their lands were granted to the
Knights of St John of Jerusalem. The Knights of St John built the church that can be seen
today, which dates from the 14th and 15th centuries.